Windshield Washer Solution Contains a Chemical Called Methanol. If Swallowed, Methanol Can Cause Kidney Failure, Blindness, and Death.

Driving in bad weather means preparing for the worst. It’s a good idea to stock your car with the right supplies for wintry weather. Pack extra snacks, drinking water, blankets, a portable radio, an extra cell phone charger, a flashlight, and ice scrapers. If you break down in the dead of winter, these items can help keep you safe.

But if children reach certain supplies, it could be trouble. Storing extra windshield washer solution in the back seat may sound like a smart idea when driving in icy conditions. Instead, this is dangerous if little ones can get their hands on it.

To children, a jug of pretty bright blue liquid looks just like juice or soda. In the front seat, mom or dad is at the wheel and distracted by the winter weather. In the back seat, it’’s not hard for a curious child to open that bottle of windshield wiper fluid. (The child-resistant closure is NOT child-proof!)

Windshield wiper solution typically contains 30-50% methanol. Methanol is a highly toxic alcohol. Very small amounts are poisonous – to children, adults, and pets. Symptoms of poisoning don’t happen for a while. Someone could swallow even a fatal amount and feel fine for hours.

Drinking windshield washer fluid often causes stomach upset and vomiting at first. Later, the person who swallowed it may appear dizzy, sleepy, confused, or even drunk. Without prompt treatment in the emergency room, a child may suffer permanent blindness or even coma and death.

Adults are sometimes poisoned by windshield washer solution after it’s put into another container. It might seem like a good idea to keep a small amount handy for winter weather emergencies. Don’t do it! Blue liquid in a beverage bottle looks like something to drink!

Never put windshield washer fluid into a smaller bottle, especially a soda or juice bottle. Putting toxic chemicals in food/drink bottles is inviting danger. You risk poisoning people, or even yourself.

Always keep children away from containers of windshield wiper fluid.

  • Screw the child-resistant cap on tightly.
  • Always store the product in its original container.
  • Lock it up out of sight and reach of children and pets.
  • If you travel with windshield wiper fluid in wintery weather, lock it in the trunk.

Windshield washer solution is poisonous to pets, too. If you spill it on the garage floor, be sure to clean it up right away.

If you suspect that someone has tasted or swallowed windshield wiper fluid, immediately use the webPOISONCONTROL® online tool for guidance or call Poison Control at 1-800-222-1222. Both will tell you exactly what to do. The webPOISONCONTROL online tool and the Poison specialists are available 24 hours a day, even during a snowstorm.

Click here to the original article by Robert Porter, BS, MPH, PharmD
Certified Specialist in Poison Information


NATIONAL ADDICTION NEWS NOTE 3
While we need windshield wiper solution to stay safe while driving in bad weather, please be mindful of spills and make sure you lock it up. Your kids and pets depend on you for their safety.


VICTORY TELEMEDICINE AD FOR BLOGS

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s