Taking a few extra precautions this flu season may be just what the doctor ordered. Let’s face it, teaching proper handwashing protocols aren’t exactly on our kid’s priority list. That’s why hand sanitizers have become every mom’s dream when it comes to keeping their children’s hands clean.
What’s great about homemade hand sanitizers is you can get creative with scents using your favorite essential oils. One ingredient you will not want to change up is using 90 percent isopropyl alcohol. The reason why this type of sanitizer is preferred is that alcohol rub sanitizers containing at least 70% alcohol (mainly ethyl alcohol) is an excellent antimicrobial and kills 99.9% of the bacteria on hands 30 seconds after application and 99.99% to 99.999% in one minute. As well, it has the ability to denature proteins. The only viruses they do not kill some common germs such as salmonella, e. Coli, MRSA (methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus), and norovirus.
While alcohol-free hand sanitizers may not be as effective as preventing the spread of viruses we understand that children’s ages can factor into which hand sanitizer you use.
Essential Oils Have Wonderful Medicinal Properties
Essential oils are considered mankind’s first medicine and it has been used throughout history for relieving symptoms of ailments and complementary treatments. Using essential oils for medicinal purposes dates back to 4500 B.C. when ancient Egyptians discovered that oils and aromatics could be used for illness. Let’s not forget those 4 thieves who discovered a simple combination of herbal oils when the Black Plague was wreaking havoc throughout Europe.
Chinese medicine also centers on herbal concoctions and essential oils and this medicine is finally gaining attention in the Western world. While many of the benefits of essential oils have not yet been clinically tested, there is the feedback that suggests that these oils may be beneficial to our health when used properly.
- Antibacterial – Due to the increase of antibacterial resistant illnesses, many are turning to essential oils such as basil, cassia, cinnamon, clove, cypress, eucalyptus, geranium, lavender, lemon, marjoram, melaleuca, myrrh, orange, oregano, peppermint, rosemary, tea tree, and thyme.
- Antiviral – Oils that have been studied to help control viral infections include: basil, cassia, cinnamon, eucalyptus, frankincense, lemon, lemongrass, marjoram, Melaleuca, myrrh, oregano, and thyme.
- Antimicrobial – Having some oils that have antimicrobial action will also help fight germs. Herbs such as lavender, Melaleuca, geranium, lemon, eucalyptus, Ravensara, rosemary, cinnamon, thyme.
Here are some of our favorite essential oil scent combinations.
Germ-Fighting: If you have heard of the 4 thieves oil, then you know it has germ-fighting potential. You’ll love this scent combination of 5 drops each of clove, lemon, cinnamon, eucalyptus, rosemary.
Calming and Preventative: This is one of my favorites and it always calms me when I put it on. All you need is 10 drops of lavender oil, 5 drops of lemon oil.
Clean and Simple: If you like the classics, you will love this scent combo. All you need is 5 drops lemon oil, 5 drops grapefruit oil and 5 drops of thyme oil.
Once you make your own hand sanitizer, you will see how cost-effective it is and feel relieved with the simplicity of the ingredients.
Here’s what you need:
- 2-ounce plastic spray bottle
- aloe vera
- 90 percent isopropyl alcohol
- 15 drops of your favorite essential oil
That’s it! Can you believe it?
How To Make Alcohol-Based Hand Sanitizer
- 16 ounces of isopropyl alcohol
- 1 tablespoon pure aloe vera
- 15 drops essential oils (see our favorite combinations below)
Combine all ingredients in a 2-ounce plastic spray bottle and shake well to combine. Adjust scent by adding more essential oil
What I love about this homemade hand sanitizer is that it smells great, fights off germs and bacteria and the aloe conditions the your hands so the sanitizer doesn’t dry the skin. Try it today and see!
What’s your favorite essential oil that you use?
Now, you won’t have to wait in a doctor’s office or ER for those times when all you need to do is speak to a doctor by phone or internet. My readers will receive a special discounted rate of under $20/month for your entire family. CLICK HERE.